Subject: Installation problem - boot floppy hangs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Francois Landry <franois.landry4@sympatico.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/2001 09:44:08
Hello!

I have a problem with the installation of NetBSD 1.5 i386. I tried on another i386 system with the same media and media is OK.

I also installed NetBSD on my Amiga successfully so I can get more technical if needed.

My machine:
AMD K6-2 300
AOpen AX59 Pro motherboard (july 2000 bios)
64 MB RAM
AWE 64
Acer NE2k nic
Linksys LNE100tx nic
Linksys HPN 100 nic
ATI rage pro 8MB video card

ide0 master: Maxtor 40Mb with windows 98. 8Gig Fat32 primary, the rest in a logical partition itself divided in 4.
ide0 slave: atapi cdrom
ide1 master: HP 8210i CD writer
ide1 slave: WD 6 Gig for NetBSD.

Boot disk kernel starts but hangs with hard drive light on at
"md0: internal 2048k image area"

I could send the dmesg output if you need; I need to know how to get it through
a serial console first...

From what I gather, it could be an hard drive problem since it hangs right before displaying
the partitions. The WD 6 gig has no configured partitions (I tried with pre configured partitions
to no avail). The Maxtor 30 Gig is fully partitioned:

Primary 7812,8 Mb
Logical 21493,2 Mb
containing 3 partitions :7671,6 Mb, 1953,2 Mb, 11868,3 Mb
All FAT32

Are these partitions too big? Is UDMA33 a problem with NetBSD?

I can boot the OpenBSD floppy fine... I'd rather be using NetBSD. Also, the small NetBSD
boot floppy works alright. Win98 also works on this machine.

Also, I tried removing the two linksys NICs and nothing changed.

I'm stuck and would welcome any help. If you need any more info I will
send it right away.

Thank you
Francois Landry