Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 and PCMCIA ethernet on a 486 laptop.
To: Scott Stevens <sast50183@earthlink.net>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/2001 12:54:49
On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:54:27PM -0500, Scott Stevens wrote:
> I am having a terrible time getting NetBSD 1.5 to work with PCMCIA ethernet
> cards in my aged old laptop.  It's a Toshiba T2105, which is a 486DX2-50
> machine.  Mine has 28 MB of RAM and a 1.4G hard drive.  In the past it's
> been an excellent NetBSD laptop, in fact the first time I ever installed
> NetBSD anywhere was an NFS install I did on that machine back in the 1.3
> days.  It also worked fine with 1.4.2 which I ran on it over a year ago now.
>
> When I use the standard Installation Boot floppies (boot1.fs and boot2.fs)
> everything goes fine until I've created and formatted the partitions and
> select NFS for the installation method.  After entering the IP address for
> my NFS server (another i386 box on my home network) and the PC Card in the
> laptop (which was found properly by the setup program) the machine seizes
> up with an error message that reports 'IRQ 7'.  It seems to at the call to
> ifconfig, and be related to initializing the ethernet card (a 3-Com 3C589
> that worked fine back with 1.4 and 1.3 and works fine with other OSes).  I
> also tried a Linksys NE2000-clone PC card with very similar results.
>
> [snip]

I had pretty much the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite 2110 when I
upgraded from 1.4 to 1.5 recently. You need to set PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOBASE to
0x300 and PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOSIZE to 0xff as mentioned in the bugs section of
pcmcia(4). Everything is happy again now, but I did the upgrade by copying
the sets across under 1.4 and doing a local upgrade, rather than an NFS one.

Ian.