Subject: Re: problem with X11 on 486 laptop
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/14/2001 10:39:09
On 14.04.01, 02:30:57, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I'm getting the following error when I try to start X11 on this 486
> laptop I've been playing with:
>
> 	xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap /dev/vga (Invalid Argument)

If I remember correctly that's the message you get when you try to run
an Xserver on i386 with a kernel security level of > 0. In that case
you need the aperture driver lkm (it's in pkgsrc) and an Xserver
that's aware of it. (The XFree 4 binaries for NetBSD found on
xfree86.org often aren't.)

> Any idea what I might have broken now?  (kernel is 2001/03/24, X is from
> 2000/12/10 -- do I have to update my xsrc too?)

Be sure that support for the NetBSD Aperture driver is enabled in the
source configuration files before building X.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD is PAR -- Powerful, Advanced, Reliable.  Is your OS up to PAR?
		-- Frank Warren