Subject: Re: Problems with Adaptec 2940 and Archive Viper 150 Tape Drive
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/12/2001 09:04:50
On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Jon Lindgren wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Gerald C. Simmons wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have experience with the Adaptec 2940 controller??
> >
> > Everything appears to be probing and connecting fine, but when I try and write
> > a tape using the Archive tape drive, it writes merrily along for awhile
> > (several megabytes,) then gets an I/O error.
> >
> > I've tried tar'ing with /dev/rst0 and /dev/nrst0, no difference.
> >
> > I'm suspecting some kind up timing setup problem with the configuration on the
> > Adaptec 2940 - not NetBSD, but the configuration you set when the BIOS starts
> > the card - <CTRL-A> to enter.
>
> I've never had a problem with a release of NetBSD (1.4.x or 1.5) with the
> 2940s, but I have had flakey drives cause problems.  It may need an entry
> in the quirks table...
>
> Can you post the errors that you get?  It may be anything from a strange
> device to a bad device to a bad tape... have you tried different
> media?  Perhaps a different drive (if one is available)?  If not, the
> errors may help diagnose the problem.

Yes, I have tried different tapes. No other drive avail. to try.

Here ya go!

/var/log/messages
Apr 11 16:03:08 dakkon /netbsd: st0 at scsibus0 targ 4 lun 0: <ARCHIVE, VIPER 150  21531, -004> SCSI
1 1/sequential removable

Apr 12 08:57:36 dakkon /netbsd: st0: bad request, must be multiple of 512

    <Does this mean I have to specify something with blocking???>

simmons@darykon[28]% tar cvzf /dev/nrst0
NetBSD-1.0/usr.local/local.bin.ak.tar.gz
NetBSD-1.0/patches/
NetBSD-1.0/patches/CKSUMS
NetBSD-1.0/patches/README
NetBSD-1.0/patches/patch_00
NetBSD-1.0/patches/patch_01
NetBSD-1.0/patches/patch_02
NetBSD-1.0/patches/patch_03
NetBSD-1.0/patches/patch_04
NetBSD-1.0/patches/patch_05
NetBSD-1.0/patches/patch_06
NetBSD-1.0/com/
NetBSD-1.0/com/com.c.9a
NetBSD-1.0/com/com.patch
NetBSD-1.0/com/com.patch.2
NetBSD-1.0/com/compatch
NetBSD-1.0/security/
NetBSD-1.0/security/CKSUMS
NetBSD-1.0/security/README.export-control
NetBSD-1.0/security/secr10.aa
simmons@dakkon[29]% tar (child): can't write to /dev/nrst0 : Input/output error

Gerry Simmons
gerry@darykon.cet.com