Subject: Problems with NetBSD 1.5 filesystem not seen in 1.4.3
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/10/2001 22:01:28
Today, I finally got the time to upgrade my 1.2.1 netbsd box to a more current version.

I tried just "upgrading" from 1.2.1 to 1.5, but sysinst puked on me in the middle of processing my
/etc with "Sysinst Terminated." No clue.

So I decided to plunge ahead with a fresh installation on a 4GB drive, keeping my 1.2.1 Install
(2.5GB,) which also held all the 1.5 tarballs. The installation went smooth right up until I
tried copying an entire file system from my 2.5GB drive to the 4GB drive. Here's what happened:

I mounted my old /home filesystem to /mnt under 1.5. I had a fully newfs's /home directory
waiting or my 4GB drive. I use an alias called "tardy" defined as:

		'(cd !:1; tar clf - .) | (cd !:2; tar xpf -)'

to move files/directories from one filesystem to another, preserving all date information.
Basically, what I executed was 'tardy /mnt /home'. This proceded to copy one filesystems contents
to the other then BOOOOMMM!! stopped in the kernel debugger after copying about 128MB (out of
400MB.) I re-booted, repaired the file systems and tried again. BOOOMMM!!!

After this, I cleaned the 4GB drive, installed a copy of NetBSD 1.4.3, and repeated the whole
process without incident.

I'm currently fully up and running under NetBSD 1.4.3.

There seems to be a NASTY bug in the filesystem or something in NetBSD-1.5.

Has this been fixed???

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com