Subject: Re: booting to X not as root
To: None <OinkFreeBiker@att.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/08/2001 18:16:33
On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 02:48:50AM +0000, OinkFreeBiker@att.net wrote:
> Then I rebooted... And it did the same thing: graphics
> flipped out for one second -- with the top half of the
> screen like it lost horizontal sync. But just for a
> second. Then it came back to the "Welcome to NetBSD"
> graphical login.
>
> Then, if I login as root. It goes to root's kde screen
> just fine.

Probably, there's something in /root that's not in your home
directory. .kde? Something like that.

If that's not the case, then your GiveConsole script is broken.
Since I abhor kde and its ilk, I can't be too much help there. xdm
(which I'd recommend your trying to get working first before using
kdm) keeps this stuff in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/. Perhaps kdm keeps
it somewhere nearby?

The weird sync'ing makes it sound like whatever file has the
appropriate X settings for your video card is not read properly by
kdm (probably because kdm wants a copy of it some place you haven't
put it).

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net