Subject: None
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <OinkFreeBiker@att.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/2001 23:38:52
Still doing same thing...

Okay, to recap. Wanting to boot straight to X, as per
written instruction I put...

   /usr/X11R6/bin/kdm

 ...at the end of /rc.local.

 Then, rebooting, the machine goes to X with a
 graphical login.

 But I can only login as root. If I login as me, the
 screen goes berserk for about one  second, and then
 settles down and the login gadget comes back again.

 After that, I can still login as root, but it's not
 well to stay in root.

 My last advice was to move /home/me/.xinitrc out of
 the way. So I renamed it to .xinitrc_1. Then I
 rebooted. And did login as me.

 It did the same thing, flipping out for a second,
 and then asking for login again.

 So I'm thinking... When doing login sans X, I have
 to login as me, then do su, then do startx. If I
 try to do startx without first doing su, then it
 doesn't like that.

 Could it be that, having done login as root, there
 is proper authority to startx? But having done login
 as me, that authority is lacking?

 Who knows for sure? Please inform.

 Thanks,

 Gan Starling
 Kalamazoo MI

PS Sorry about the dual post before. I am informed now of
the archive, and will go there henceforth.