Subject: Text in release notes about a.out
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/2001 15:00:58
Hi,

	I'd like to get the text in the release notes about
a.out compatibility whipped into shape. Unfortunately,
I'm afraid the current text is...suboptimal:

     Some (but not all!) notable i386-specific improvements include:

     o   Migration to the ELF binary format from a.out.  You can still use
         your pre-1.5 a.out applications, though.

My undersatnding is that an installed-from-scratch NetBSD 1.5/i386 system
will not run a.out 1.4 binaries unless the emulators/compat_14 package
is installed.

Is that correct? If so, can someone write up correct text for
distrib/notes/i386/whatis (or possibly other sections) that
clarifies and explains what is necessary?

Also, we have this text:

     NetBSD/i386 has switched its executable format from the old a.out format
     to ELF, the now more commonly used and supported format. Your old bina-
     ries will continue to work just fine. The installation procedure will try
     to take the necessary steps to accomplish this. The most important step
     is to move the old a.out shared libraries in /usr/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib
     (if X was installed) to /emul/aout, where they will be automatically
     found if an older a.out binary is executed. Sysinst will use an existing
     /emul and / or /emul/aout directory if available, and will create it (as
     a symbolic link to /usr/aout) if necessary.

which I think is mostly accurate, since it comes under the Upgrading
section. The wording about the "most important step" still implies/suggests
the user might have to do something. But that's incorrect, as sysinst
does it all? Yes?

Thanks.

--jhawk