Subject: Re: SMALL FOOTPRINT NETBSD
To: dkwok <dkwok@iware.com.au>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/2001 04:02:06
> I have been using linuxrouter, www.linuxrouter.org, for my home and office
> firewall/NAT for 1 year. It has been doing just fine with 486DX66 machine.
> Can NetBSD produce something like that and can be fitted into 1 floppy disk?

Certainly. However, what's available in the source tree is oriented towards
install utilities. Look in src/distrib/i386/floppies, especially the 'rescue'
directories.

The machinery is actually quite easy to customize -- I've built "telnet boot
floppies" that were really just stripped-down install floppies and some goo.

Once you are familiar with how it works, it literally takes just a few hours
to create a custom self-contained boot floppy that does whatever you want.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com