Subject: Re: Boot straight to X???
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Forrai <d.forrai@ieee.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/2001 20:58:27
I think the directions to get xdm (or an alternative) are pretty poor.
It took me a while to figure out how to get xdm to work in 1.4.2.  I
documented it on my web site but then when I upgraded to 1.5 and
duplicated the procedure, it didn't work.  There's more to it than just
enabling xdm in /etc/rc.conf.  It also involves changing /etc/ttys and
making sure the X server binds to the right tty.  And then there's the
files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/.   The Xservers, Xsession, and
xdm-config are files that you may want to configure.  Xservers sets the
tty and it also sets other aspects of the server.  By default, the X
server boots up in 8 bit color.  You have to add a -bpp=32 to get true
color.

Maybe some day I'll fool around with it again and figure it out for 1.5.