Subject: Re: 1.5 installation into Cyrix from scratch
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/2001 17:57:14
   On Apr 5, 17:50, David Brownlee wrote:
   > Subject: Re: 1.5 installation into Cyrix from scratch
   > On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa wrote:
   > >  - Installation of 1.5 failed because of uvm_pagefault.  I
   > >    guess this is caused by the Cyrix pmap_zero problem.
   >
   > 	Does it panic when loading the install kernel from floppy?
   > 	If so, are you able to test a 1.5.1_ALPHA install floppy
   > 	(do not need to install, just confirm problem is fixed).

No.  It paniced while it is executing pax for base or comp.
On the other hand, another report at 13 Jan, 2001 on
port-i386 ML, said it paniced while creating devices.

   > >  - Both installers from 1.5 and 1.5R (snapshot at 2/6)
   > >    installer for 1.44MB floppy disks cannot unmount mounted
   > >    and modified partitions.  Kernel crashes before unmount
   > >    them with dirty something error messages.  I just ignored
   > >    it.  Fsck at the next boot time fixes file system anyway.
   >
   > 	Is this after selecting load the sets from unmounted filesystem?

Sorry, no.  This happened when I did following things.  The
installer did newfs, fsck, and mount wd0a, then it started
newfs wd0e.  If I pushed ^C, it crashed.  Or, the end of
installation, it crashed while trying to reboot.  Or, I
typed "mount wd0a /mnt", and found I need fsck, then I typed
"umount /mnt", it crashed.  So, I though it crashes when it
try to unmount modified file system.

   > >  - After installation, my machine didn't boot.  It showed
   > >    "Invalid partition table" error.  I need to do "fdisk -B"
   > >    by hand.  This hard drive was a boot drive of Win98, so I
   > >    thought it already have Win98's MBR.  Maybe Win98's MBR
   > >    is not compatible...  Is it possible to install MBR
   > >    automatically with confirmation as a part of installation
   > >    job?
   >
   > 	We _really_ ought to ask if we should unconditionally overwrite
   > 	the MBR - did the 1.5R snapshot not include a question like this?

It asked me to write boot something at the very beginning of
installation.  I thought it was MBR question, but MBR was
not installed.  So, I think this question was about
installboot.  I remember I didn't get any questions about
MBR.  Did it ask me after unmounting all file systems?  If
so, I understand I couldn't see it because of above unmount
problem.

Anyway, the installer of 1.5 is much better than old one.  I
like it.  Thank you for improvements.

Regards,
-- Kazushi
Schnuffel, n.:
	A dog's practice of continuously nuzzling in your crotch in
mixed company.
		-- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"