Subject: Re: 1.5 installation into Cyrix from scratch
To: Kazushi \(Jam\) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/2001 17:50:16
On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa wrote:

> Recently, I've installed NetBSD from scratch to an old Cyrix
> machine to make it as a router after waiting somebody who
> may want to use this for developing.
>
> I had some troubles on this installation, so I'm writing
> them and workarounds here to help others.
>
>  - Installation of 1.5 failed because of uvm_pagefault.  I
>    guess this is caused by the Cyrix pmap_zero problem.

	Does it panic when loading the install kernel from floppy?
	If so, are you able to test a 1.5.1_ALPHA install floppy
	(do not need to install, just confirm problem is fixed).

>  - Installation of 1.5R (snapshot at 2/6) succeed.
>  - Both installers from 1.5 and 1.5R (snapshot at 2/6)
>    installer for 1.44MB floppy disks cannot unmount mounted
>    and modified partitions.  Kernel crashes before unmount
>    them with dirty something error messages.  I just ignored
>    it.  Fsck at the next boot time fixes file system anyway.

	Is this after selecting load the sets from unmounted filesystem?

>  - After installation, my machine didn't boot.  It showed
>    "Invalid partition table" error.  I need to do "fdisk -B"
>    by hand.  This hard drive was a boot drive of Win98, so I
>    thought it already have Win98's MBR.  Maybe Win98's MBR
>    is not compatible...  Is it possible to install MBR
>    automatically with confirmation as a part of installation
>    job?

	We _really_ ought to ask if we should unconditionally overwrite
	the MBR - did the 1.5R snapshot not include a question like this?