Subject: 1.5 installation into Cyrix from scratch
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/2001 10:14:08
Hi,

Recently, I've installed NetBSD from scratch to an old Cyrix
machine to make it as a router after waiting somebody who
may want to use this for developing.

I had some troubles on this installation, so I'm writing
them and workarounds here to help others.

 - Installation of 1.5 failed because of uvm_pagefault.  I
   guess this is caused by the Cyrix pmap_zero problem.
 - Installation of 1.5R (snapshot at 2/6) succeed.
 - Both installers from 1.5 and 1.5R (snapshot at 2/6)
   installer for 1.44MB floppy disks cannot unmount mounted
   and modified partitions.  Kernel crashes before unmount
   them with dirty something error messages.  I just ignored
   it.  Fsck at the next boot time fixes file system anyway.
 - After installation, my machine didn't boot.  It showed
   "Invalid partition table" error.  I need to do "fdisk -B"
   by hand.  This hard drive was a boot drive of Win98, so I
   thought it already have Win98's MBR.  Maybe Win98's MBR
   is not compatible...  Is it possible to install MBR
   automatically with confirmation as a part of installation
   job?

Regards,
-- Kazushi
This is an unauthorized cybernetic announcement.