Subject: Re: Boot straight to X???
To: None <OinkFreeBiker@att.net>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@pointless.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/2001 14:46:58
On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 OinkFreeBiker@att.net wrote:

> I'd like to boot straight to X, (kde actually) and login
> there at powerup.
> I'd found instructions for setting this up on-line. Tried
> it, but didn't work.
> Here is the instruction I followed...
>

> ############# BEGIN QUOTE ###############
>
> 14.10. Graphical login with xdm
>
> If you always use X for your work and the first thing you
> do after you log in is run startx, you can set up a
> graphical login for your workstation which does this
> automatically. It is very easy:
>
> 1.Create the .xsession file in your home directory. This
> file is similar to ~/.xinitrc and can, in fact, be a link
> to the latter.
>
> 2.Modify /etc/rc.conf:
>
>   xdm=YES       xdm_flags=""       # x11 display manager
>

>   If you prefer (why?) you can add the following line at
> the end of /etc/rc.local instead of modifying rc.conf:
>
>   /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
>

>   This method can be used to start, for example, kdm or
> gdm instead of xdm.
>
> ############# END QUOTE ###############
>

> I created the hard link to ~/.xinitrc named as
> ~/.xsession, no prob. Then I substituted "xdm" from above
> with "kdm=YES" and "kdm_flags="" in /etc/rc.conf
> supposing that to be what was ment.

Unfortunatly netbsd has no script that understands the 'kdm' or 'kdm_flags'
vairables.

The sugestion above to add a line to the end of rc.local is the best way of
doing it - add:

/usr/X11R6/bin/kdm

(or whatever the path to kdm is).

If you don't have an rc.local just create it - netbsd will pick it up.

--
     "The aurochs was the great, black bull that was painted on cave
walls  alongside bison and mammoths  by tacky prehistoric minimalist