Subject: Boot straight to X???
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <OinkFreeBiker@att.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/05/2001 02:10:51
I'd like to boot straight to X, (kde actually) and login
there at powerup.
I'd found instructions for setting this up on-line. Tried
it, but didn't work.
Here is the instruction I followed...

############# BEGIN QUOTE ###############

14.10. Graphical login with xdm

If you always use X for your work and the first thing you
do after you log in is run startx, you can set up a
graphical login for your workstation which does this
automatically. It is very easy:

1.Create the .xsession file in your home directory. This
file is similar to ~/.xinitrc and can, in fact, be a link
to the latter.

2.Modify /etc/rc.conf:

  xdm=YES       xdm_flags=""       # x11 display manager

  If you prefer (why?) you can add the following line at
the end of /etc/rc.local instead of modifying rc.conf:

  /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm

  This method can be used to start, for example, kdm or
gdm instead of xdm.

############# END QUOTE ###############

I created the hard link to ~/.xinitrc named as
~/.xsession, no prob. Then I substituted "xdm" from above
with "kdm=YES" and "kdm_flags="" in /etc/rc.conf
supposing that to be what was ment.

It doesn't work. Nothing bad happens; it just doesn't
boot straight to X.

I do have ~/.xinitrc so that it works okay when I login
at the command line, do su, and then type startx. KDE
starts up fine then (except for audio...but that's
another matter).

I simply doesn't autoboot straight to X. It just goes to
the command line for login like regular.

Any hints will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI

PS: Thanks to all for clue-in on my pkg_add probs with
kde. I found those dependencies which failed in Wasabi's
OTHER cdrom, outside the paths called for by the pkg_add
script. I did pkg_add on them manually, one-by-one, and
it was fine after that.