Subject: Re: Booting multiples operating systems
To: Borchert, IT-IS S254, B <T.Borchert@deutschepost.de>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/04/2001 13:06:28
On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 10:26:25AM +0200, Borchert, IT-IS S254, B wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On the first disk I have windows95 for my child, freebsd and netbsd15 for me.
> On the second disk are linux and another netbsd15 installation for testing purposes.
> How can I configure the bootloader so, that I can all systems boot? With fdisk -B I
> get only a menu of systems which are on the first disk. How can I add the others on
> the second disk to the menu ? I dont want to use lilo.

The bootselector can only directly deal with the partitions on the
same disk; I wrote it to fit into one sector (512 bytes), and
there wasn't any room left for more options.

What it can do, though, is boot from another disk by pressing
f5-f10 (f5 is the first harddisk). So if you configure the 2nd
disk with fdisk -B as well, you can boot the partition you
want in two stages. I.e. you first press f6 to get to the 2nd
disk, and then choose the partition as usual.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/