Subject: Re: passwd lenght
To: None <symka@vejas.lt>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/03/2001 15:13:55
In message <3aca13fa.22fa.0@vejas>, "Simas Mockevicius" writes:
>Hi,
>
>how can I set up my NetBSB 1.5 server ti handle more than 8 chars lenght passw
>ords
>?

1.5 as shipped doesn't do that, as far as I know.  You need one of the
snapshots in the -current branch.  (I run 1.5R).  Once you've got that,
set up /etc/passwd.conf as the man page indicates, and it will work.

There are a few little gotchas.  Just a few seconds ago (literally!), I
sent in a PR noting that /etc/security complains about accounts with long
passwords.  I think (but have not yet fully verified) that sshd won't
accept long passwords, either.  Since I don't use password
authentication, this isn't a big deal for me, but it may affect some
people.