Subject: Re: Yet more fun
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/03/2001 16:45:31
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 02:38:58AM -0400, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Next question is whether it is possible, having installed NetBSD on a primary
> partition, to try out the next snapshot or prerelease version while leaving the
> installed working release version intact.  Can this be fitted into NetBSD's
> subdivision of the partition, or would it require a whole new separate primary
> partition?

NetBSD uses the first partition of type 'NetBSD' (169). If you want to install
NetBSD on a secondary partiton, you'll have to change the type of the
first one first (note that you can still put it back to 169 later,
with fdisk).
You can also install a second NetBSD on the primary partition (using e.g.
a,b,e for the first and f,g for the second - b can be shared).
At the boot block prompt type 'boot wd0f:netbsd' instead of 'wd0a:netbsd'
I'm not sure if the kernel will take root on wd0f or wd0a. If it doesn't
get it rigth you can tell it:
'boot wd0f:netbsd -a' and anserws 'wd0f' when ot asks for the root device.

However you'll have to do the install by hands (extracting sets, making
devices and configuring /etc), sysinst doesn't support this.