Subject: Re: staroffice 5.2
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/03/2001 10:00:20
In message <20010302221524.A2526@localhost>, Bernd Sieker writes:
>On 02.03.01, 16:50:36, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:
>> could someone give me instruction how to run staroffice 5.2 on netbsd?
>>

>The easiest way is if you have access to a "real" Linux box, then
>install it on that Linux machine, tar up the complete installation
>directory and unpack in on the NetBSD machine to the same location (e.
>g. /usr/local/office52).
>
>If the Linux emulation is installed properly, it should work just
>fine.
>
>I have not yet been able to install it directly on a NetBSD machine,
>but once installed it runs quite stable and reliable. Better in fact
>than 5.1.
>
>I actually installed a Mandrake Linux for just this purpose and
>removed it immediately after I confirmed that StarOffice was running
>fine on NetBSD.

For anyone else trying this -- make sure you have /proc mounted
first.  Otherwise, StarOffice dies a painful death.  (I was composing
a different note, asking what I needed to do, when I found I had a
copy of StarOffice 5.1 around, and I figured I'd try the installation
via pkgsrc.  It warned me about /proc...)