Subject: Re: USB IDE hard drive enclosures detected as ugen0 under 1.50/1.51A
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@augustsson.net>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/03/2001 03:47:37
>> This is a standard IDE harddrive drive, surely NetBSD must support
>> it under its umass driver, right?  Don't all USB ***IDE***
>> hard-drives share the same protocols/drivers?
> I wish this was so.  There is a Mass Storage standard, but many
> vendors have in their infinite wisdom decided to use some
> proprietary protocol.

I assumed there was a standard, since Win2000 automatically
detected the USB drive and used it.

So if my "LaCue" USB IDE drive enclosure does not follow the
"Mass Storage standard", could someone please recommend a
manufacturer and part number of a USB drive enclosure that
does follow the "Mass Storage standard" (and hense works
under NetBSD), and also has the following features:

	-USB drive enclosure of 2.5" IDE laptop drives
	-small pocket size (for backing laptop when I travel)
	-perfer self-powered from USB port

My company has offices in the Canada, US, Europe, Asia, &
Australia, and I am constantly traveling between them.   So
I am willing to go to the four corners of the Earth and buy
any USB drive enclosure that works with NetBSD, as long as
it also has the above listed features.

What about the following USB drive enclosures for 2.5" IDE
laptop drives?  Does anyone know if it follows the "Mass
Storage standard"?

	-USBgear (USBG-25K): http://www.usbgear.net/item_137.html

BTW, there are a lot of other USB drives listed here:

	-http://www.allusb.com/Products_Storage_HardDisks.html

Thank you in advance.
Alicia.