Subject: Re: Diffs between ldconfig 1.4.3 & 1.5?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/02/2001 19:04:47
Frederick Bruckman encoded:
 without the library search path build into the binary when linking?

>You mean, will it limit *running* binaries built from source without
>the library search path? Yes it will! The solution, for binaries you
>link yourself, is to code the path in.

Thanks for the explanation.
Can it pose a problem for the compile-from-source itself?
I "always" learned that in order to guarantee a succesfull build from
source (esp.3rd party binaries and packages being able to find the right
paths), I need to put the paths in ld.so.conf.

E.g. if certain sources (from packages or thirdparty) don't have the path
coded in and on build are looking for files in libdirs besides the emul (if
they don't have the search patch coded in), do I  "need" to use the
ld.so.conf or is there a magic override in a mk file to autocorrect when
compiling from such sources?

>But even on ELF, you can still use LD_LIBRARY_PATH if necessary.

Even when the ldconfig-1.5 doesn't recognize the path set in
/etc/ld.so.conf?

TIA,
Touchwood