Subject: USB IDE hard drive enclosures detected as ugen0 under 1.50/1.51A
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/02/2001 15:23:42
Aren't USB mass storage devices suppose to be supported under NetBSD
1.5 & 1.51A (Alpha Snapshot)?

I have a USB IDE 2.5" laptop drive enclosure, that I plan to use for
backing up when I travel.

However under both NetBSD i386 versions 1.5 & 1.5A I get:

	ugen0 at uhub0 port 2
	ugen0: LaCue USB Mass STORAGE, rev 1.00/2.00, addr 2

with both the laptop install & generic kernels.  This is a standard
IDE harddrive drive, surely NetBSD must support it under its umass
driver, right?  Don't all USB ***IDE*** hard-drives share the same
protocols/drivers?

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?  The 1.5/1.51A generic &
install kernels are compiled with USB support, right?  Just to be
sure they are also compiled with umass support also, right?  Since
installing NetBSD via a portable USB drive would be very convenient!
It would also be cool to be able to boot a USB hard-drive too!

BTW, on a side note, any ideas as to when 1.5.1 might be released?
Some of who are not confortable with *.0 releases are looking
forward to installing NetBSD 1.5.1 on our servers.

Thanks in advance.
Alicia.