Subject: Re: Diffs between ldconfig 1.4.3 & 1.5?
To: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/01/2001 15:55:12
On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, T@W wrote:

> something about ldconfig puzzles me:
>
> the ldconfig -v from 1.4.3 shows me the correct shared libraries as set in
> ld.so.conf, but when using the ldconfig from 1.5 it only shows the paths to
> emul and nothing else.

"ldconfig" on 1.5/i386 exists in support of running a.out binaries,
and nothing more. It has no function for ELF. It fact, it was removed
from the distribution at one point, and barely made it back in for 1.5.

> Is this right and due to the fact that NetBSD-1.5 is different from 1.4.3?
> Will this not limit building binaries from source esp. non-system binaries
> without the library search path build into the binary when linking?

You mean, will it limit *running* binaries built from source without
the library search path? Yes it will! The solution, for binaries you
link yourself, is to code the path in. But even on ELF, you can still
use LD_LIBRARY_PATH if necessary.

Frederick