Subject: Re: NetBSD TCP performance
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Michael Lyle <mlyle@recourse.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/2001 11:59:46
On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 05:51:27PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Do you notice any disk activity when running this test with NetBSD, that
> wouldn't be there with linux ?
> linux uses a dynamically-sized buffer cache, where NetBSD uses a static one.
> It's possible that files served by thttpd all fits in buffer cache under
> linux, and require some disk access under NetBSD.

No, there's absolutely no activity..  There's only one file being retrieved
and it seems to nicely fit in the disk cache.

I do notice that netbsd does use significantly less memory than Linux during
the test..  but i don't know whether that's a result of the poor performance
(and thus there being less TCP flow data in memory) or somehow intertwined
with teh cause.

Monday I'll take a look and double check to make sure we're running the new
checksum code.. but I'm fairly certain we are.

Mike

--
Michael P. Lyle
Chief Technical Officer

The contents of this message are confidential.
Copyright 2001 M. Lyle