Subject: Re: Yet more fun
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/2001 02:42:46
>>Could NetBSD be put above 8 GB and still be
>>HDD-bootable with the new i386 computers?
>
>>I don't even know for sure if DOS can read/write a FAT16 logical
>>partition in an extended partition
>>where the extended partition crosses 8 GB
>
>I installed FAT16 system, RedHat 7.0 and NetBSD 1.5 onto 10 GB HDD, with no problem.
>But when I installed NetBSD onto an extended partition, It did not boot from HDD.
>
>>LILO might be able to boot all three(?)
>I think you better think seperately between BIOS and OSes.  Modern OSes don't need
>a help of BIOS to access to HDD, then the question is how to boot an OS loader.
>OS loaders are independent from OSes and usually made for specific OSes.
>So if you investigate LILO, you can know what LILO can do. And when LILO
>cannot boot netbsd, you can use a boot floppy. Spanish GAG is recommended.
>
>----------------------
>K. Takai (kazuhiko_takai@anet.ne.jp)

I remember reading on this list that NetBSD required a primary partition as seen
by BIOS, so the idea was to put a primary DOS partition at the beginning of the
HDD (255 MB, 4096 bytes allocation unit), have an extended partition for Linux,
possibly more DOS space, and I could even conceivably save space for OS/2 Warp 4
with to-be-downloaded Fixpack 15, or eComStation.  That latter part involves
some other issues, so I don't know if the OS/2 part would work, too much
sidetracking from Linux and NetBSD anyway for my intellectual resources.  DOS,
Linux and NetBSD can be booted from 1.44 MB diskette with full functionality,
but I don't think OS/2 Warp 4 can be booted fully functional from diskettes.

When you installed NetBSD onto an extended partition, would it boot fully
functional from diskette, or maybe from an alternative HDD boot manager?

LILO can boot Linux on a logical partition, but I don't know if the current
version can boot another OS on a logical partition.  I have a bookmarks file of
HTML-tagged Internet URLs for various topics including some boot loaders.