Subject: Re: NetBSD TCP performance (was: Yet more fun)
To: Michael Lyle <mlyle@recourse.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/2001 00:33:46
On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 06:15:41PM -0800, Michael Lyle wrote:
> Traffique2000 is remarkably simple, as is thttpd..  I can provide
> the traffique source if anyone is interested in using it as a
> performance tool.. it's about 229 lines of code.

I'd like to take a look - you can send it to me off list.

There was some hype a while back about Linux implementing a
"multi-threaded TCP stack" (after losing a benchmark run - sponsored by
Microsoft - to NT.) I don't know how much that was Noise and how much
was Signal though.

> > On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 03:42:20PM -0800, Michael Lyle wrote:
> > > We're using a pair of Dell Poweredge 350's with 2 i82559 onboard NIC's.
> > > They're set up to be thttpd servers and to retrieve pages from each other.

So both servers are running thttpd and Traffique2000 simultaneously?

It might be nice to compare ttcp runs on the same setup, so we would see
if you're hitting an abnormal situation specific to T2k, or getting
representative test case results.

Also, Jonathan Stone asked about tcpdumps - you can put a port on your
Cisco29xx into span mode to get those.

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods