Subject: Re: Yet more fun
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/2001 01:16:13
Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 11:54:49PM +0200, Johan Ihren wrote:
>
>  > VMware.
>  >
>  > Linux thingies using threads.
>  >
>  > VMware.
>
> VMware will be available on NetBSD soon (running the Linux binary).

I know.

> And, we emulate things that use Linux Threads just fine.  Staroffice is
> a fine example (I use Staroffice almost daily).

Oops sorry, let me be a bit more careful with what I say. What I meant
was that a number of applications developed under Linux that depend on
threads, several of which are in pkgsrc, do not seem to work properly
when *compiled* under NetBSD. One thing that comes to mind is
xmms. Another is bind9 that is much happier when configured with
--disable-threads (not that bind is developed under Linux, though).

This is not putting NetBSD down. On the contrary, I'll be very happy
the day I can throw Linux out (as I've said before). It's just that I
cannot do that quite yet. Almost there, but not completely.

Regards,

Johan