Subject: Re: Yet more fun
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Larry Colen <lrc@recourse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/29/2001 09:33:46
One note about my original post. I was not trying to make a dual boot
system. The system is a small test box in the lab. We'd been running
some benchmarks on Linux and we piffed the Linux installation when we
installed NetBSD. NetBSD did not run until we zeroed out the first 10
blocks of the disk and reinstalled it.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:44:11AM +0200, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:

> > I am trying to decide how to partition a huge HDD, when I buy the new computer,
> > for DR-DOS 7.03 (255 MB primary, maybe an additional 255 MB partition which
> > could be logical), Linux (logical partitions OK), and NetBSD.  Could NetBSD be
> > put above 8 GB and still be HDD-bootable with the new i386 computers?  No way to
> yes.
>
> btw why you install linux and netbsd together. it's waste of space and
> time. netbsd could emulate linux binaries so good that it does not make
> sense

Well, in our case we found that running the same software we were
getting throughput of about 64 Megabit per Second on NetBSD and 97
Megabits per Second on Linux. NetBSD is more stable, but the Linux ran
long enough, with more throughput. This kind of bummed out our CTO who
set up the test, he's a big proponent of NetBSD.

The other possibility is that perhaps he is trying to test software
cross platforms. He needs to make sure that the same program runs on
DOS, Linux and BSD.

   LRC

--
Larry Colen - Recourse Technologies - lrc@recourse.com - 650-381-8090