Subject: Re: Yet more fun
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/29/2001 02:39:45
>> invalid partition table
>> no operating system.
>
>I too installed RedHat and got a similar problem.
>It seems that the redhat boot selector (lilo) ocuppies
>a part of the disk which netbsd installer does not touch.
>
>If you like to boot all the OSes from HDD, you may have to make lilo the booter,
>but I didn't take that way because I didn't need linux at all so that I deinstall
>linux.
>
>My suggestion is that you use a boot floppy for linux and an HDD booter for netbsd.
>
>- ----------------------
>K. Takai (kazuhiko_takai@anet.ne.jp)

From DOS, Linux can be booted with LOADLIN, comparable to dosboot for NetBSD.

I am trying to decide how to partition a huge HDD, when I buy the new computer,
for DR-DOS 7.03 (255 MB primary, maybe an additional 255 MB partition which
could be logical), Linux (logical partitions OK), and NetBSD.  Could NetBSD be
put above 8 GB and still be HDD-bootable with the new i386 computers?  No way to
test on current computer, since 8 GB HDDs didn't exist at the time of my last
upgrade.  I don't even know for sure if DOS can read/write a FAT16 logical
partition in an extended partition, where the extended partition crosses 8 GB.
I don't think NetBSD boot selector would boot Linux on a logical partition, but
LILO might be able to boot all three(?)