Subject: Newbie xf86config woes...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Starling <MisteraSturno@worldnet.att.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/27/2001 17:31:56
[ I'm a newbie stumbling around with setting up X. I don't seem to find
command, file (whatever) called XF86Setup which is recommended over
xf86config command. ]

*****************
*
* /usr/X11R6/X11/doc/README.NetBSD says...
*
*****************

5.  Configuring X for Your Hardware

The /etc/XF86Config file tells the X server what kind of monitor, video
card
and mouse you have.  You must create it to tell the server what specific
hardware you have.

The easiest way to create this file is to run the XF86Setup utility as
root.
Refer to QuickStart.doc for details about its use.

*****************
*
* QuickStart.doc says...
*
*****************

XF86Setup primarily uses a graphical user interface and is the preferred
tool
for initial setup, but there are a few cases where it can't be used.  If
you
are using a card that is not VGA compatible, have a fixed-frequency
monitor,
or are running OS/2, you'll not be able to use XF86Setup, read about
xf86con-
fig instead.  If you have limited RAM or a slow system, you might be
better
off using xf86config as well.

[ But alas and alak, I cannot find XF86Setup anywhere. The command
"find" also
can't find it...and I started from root! (That took a while...) Am I to
assume
it is not part of NetBSD 1.5? Should I stop searching for it? Abandoning
my
search (temporarily) for XF86Setup utility, I figure to use the command
"xf86config". I read, as below... ]

*****************
*
* /usr/X11R6/X11/doc/README.NetBSD says...
*
*****************

The NetBSD pms mouse driver handles PS/2 style mice as Busmouse. Specify
the
protocol as ``busmouse'' in the mouse section of your XF86Config file if
you're using a PS/2 mouse.

*****************
*
* /usr/X11R6/X11/doc/README.mouse says...
*
*****************

3.9  NetBSD

NetBSD 1.3.x and former does not support extended PS/2 mouse protocols
("xxxPS/2").  The PS/2 mouse device driver /dev/pms emulates the bus
mouse.
Therefore, you should always specify the "BusMouse" protocol for any
PS/2
mouse regardless of the brand of the mouse.

3.11  OpenBSD

There is also a cooked PS/2 mouse device driver /dev/pms0 which emulates
the
bus mouse.  Specify the "BusMouse" protocol for any PS/2 mouse
regardless of
the brand of the mouse when using this device.

*****************
*
* Running "ls /dev/p*" reveals....
*
*****************

/dev/pms0

********* END QUOTATIONS *** BEGIN WHINE *********

So: I do not find any "/dev/pms" only "/dev/pms0". Also, I find no
/dev/mouse.
I presume I am to create /dev/mouse as a pointer to /dev/pms, if
/dev/pms were
to exist. Should I use /dev/pms0 insead? Or am I mysteriously missing
/dev/pms?

This is all very frustrating and belies the platitudes offered in the
documents
so far. Especially when they send me looking for things that simply
aren't there.
Whatever pearls of wisdom anyone may kindly offer will be much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI