Subject: Re: Root filesystem on LFS question
To: Steven G. Hascall <steve@ezl.com>
From: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/25/2001 18:06:35
> Hi,
>
>     In a previous thread I think someone expressed frustration at not
> being able to hang an LFS filesystem off root. The technical hurdle was

i was able but not everything works right. utmp does not for example.

> described to be the way LFS rearranges bootblocks not jiving with where
> i386 systems expected to find them. This seems to be a problem with

i've booted from small /stand partition in FFS format. it's not a problem.

> HP-UX systems as well - but they are still able mount VxFS filesystems
> off root because the kernel and boot stuff live in /stand (which always
> needs to live on a UFS filesystem.) My question(s): why doesn't NetBSD
> use /stand for kernel and boot related files? It's there, but it's

who told you NetBSD can't

just add /stand to critical_filesystems in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, put
kernels to /stand and installboot here and do

cd /;ln -sf /stand/netbsd .
and maybe for other kernels if you have

works fine and tested :)