Subject: Installing from hard drive?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/2001 23:28:24
Okay, this is a little specialized:

Imagine a machine which can't boot from CD, and has no floppy drive.  However,
it has a functional network interface under DOS.  Can I install NetBSD on
this?

To be more specific, out of idle curiousity (and because it cost negative ten
dollars), I picked up a PC emulator other than VirtualPC; it's called
"RealPC", and it's the guts of SoftWindows.  I'm using it on a Mac laptop
which has no floppy drive, and a USB floppy doesn't appear to fool it.
So, no floppy.  It can't boot from CD, either.  However, I can boot DOS,
and I can copy files into the DOS drive space, so I could have a filesystem
with distribution sets... if only there were a convenient way to start the
install from here.  Am I missing something obvious?

-s