Subject: Re: WIRELESS LAN
To: dkwok <dkwok@iware.com.au>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/2001 20:55:29
In message <000e01c0b4c3$ef300d20$ec01a8c0@iware.com.au>, "dkwok" writes:

>Have anyone have experience with Lucent Wavelen card? Or setup up a =
>access point with NetBSD OS for other Wavelen
>computer access?

Yes, I use a Lucent Orinoco Wavelan card in an old laptop as an access
point.  I'm running 1.5-current, but I'm fairly certain it was working
with 1.5-Release.

You can find the details at http://www.live.com/wireless/unix-base-station.html
but a quick summary is that although you can't do real "BSS" mode (base
station), you can do "IBSS" mode, which is almost as good if you just
have on access point and don't want to use power-saving mode on the
remote terminals.  My current laptop can home on it and on a real
Lucent access point, without any reconfiguration whatsoever.