Subject: Bootloader Failure
To: 'port-i386@netbsd.org' <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Lougheed <lougheed@techbc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/23/2001 14:27:06
We're having a small problem, and for the life of us we can't figure out why
it's happening...

We're currently using NetBSD on several systems, including a Mac and a
couple of i386 machines with IDE drives. This time we're trying to install
it on several i386 machines that have Ultra/160 SCSI drives as the only
drives in the system.

The install goes fine, and the bootselector is loaded into the MBR - gives
no errors. As soon as you reboot, the bootselector gives the following
output:

F4 bsd

and a countdown. There's only one OS setup in the bootselector. As the
countdown ends, the output changes to:

F4 bsd
3

(3 being the partition number NetBSD is installed on by sysinst) and the
system hangs.

This setup works fine on the IDE drives, but blows up on the U160 drives.

Does anyone have any knowledge about why this might happen? The machines
aren't critical (they're test machines at this point) but it would be nice
to know why it's happening.

A little more info:

OS: NetBSD 1.5 and i386 snapshot 20010206
Controller: Adaptec AHA-29160 and AIC-7899
Drives: Quantum Atlas2 18G and Seagate Cheetah 36G

Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated =)

Thanks,

Pat Lougheed
Network Services
Technical University of BC