Subject: Re: Stupid Chip Q
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/2001 14:33:07
> > yes you can with SUCH change. you have about 5-6 times faster CPU, 2-3
> > times faster memory, better IDE interface.=20
>=20
> Actually, it seems that the CPU is more than 5-6 times faster (but maybe
> it's because of the better and faster cache etc).
exactly.=20
> > gimp unusable on P233?????
>=20
> Not unusable, but combining megapixel class images into larger ones for
> printind is  s l o w  on my older machines.  Well, in that case, adding
> RAM and a fast disk probably helps more than a faster CPU.  In mpeg encod=
ing,

LOTS of ram to keep all pictures etc.., proper tile cache size
selection or fast disk and about 32 MB RAM so gimp would have 8MB for
pictures and wouldn't swap while processing.
> it's the CPU that matters.
> > i'm using on P225 regularly to operate on large (sometimes
> > 200MB) scannings. yes it IS slow on rotations and scaling. rest depends=
 on
> > disk drive mostly. configure well memory size for gimp (in preferences)=
 -
> > i have 32MB on 128MB machine so i have still 96 available for other app=
> > while gimp is working.
>=20
> I gave 128 MB to gimp so it didn't swap into its temp file all the time..=
 ;)

yes.=20

> > you have upgraded not only CPU but motherboard, memory, disk.=20
> > i was comparing 600 Mhz and 900 Mhz CPU's with the same other hardware!
>=20
> Ok.  There was talk about 200-300 MHz class CPU's as well and I just
> wanted to say that the new machines are doing much better.. (I wasn't
> so sure before I got a new machine.)

of course.=20

> BTW, what kind of temperatures are people seeing on the CPU's?  My
> 900 MHz Athlon runs around 60=B0C, around 70=B0C with full load (accordin=
> to the mb sensor).  The lowest reading (somewhere on the mb, I think)
> is 25=B0C.  Should I be worried?

silicon chips can SURVIVE 130-140 degres and work at 90-100 degrees
properly. it's about in-core temperature, on packing-box temperature
- that measured - would be 20-30 degrees lower due to heat resistance.

so 60-70 degrees is maximum acceptable. for short - if you can't keep your
hand on chip more than few seconds it's too hot