Subject: Re: Stupid Chip Q
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/2001 15:15:58
On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 01:07:01PM +0100, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:
> > I updated from P233 to Athlon 900 and I _can_ _see_ _the_ _difference_! :-)
>
> yes you can with SUCH change. you have about 5-6 times faster CPU, 2-3
> times faster memory, better IDE interface.

Actually, it seems that the CPU is more than 5-6 times faster (but maybe
it's because of the better and faster cache etc).

> gimp unusable on P233?????

Not unusable, but combining megapixel class images into larger ones for
printind is  s l o w  on my older machines.  Well, in that case, adding
RAM and a fast disk probably helps more than a faster CPU.  In mpeg encoding,
it's the CPU that matters.

> i'm using on P225 regularly to operate on large (sometimes
> 200MB) scannings. yes it IS slow on rotations and scaling. rest depends on
> disk drive mostly. configure well memory size for gimp (in preferences) -
> i have 32MB on 128MB machine so i have still 96 available for other apps
> while gimp is working.

I gave 128 MB to gimp so it didn't swap into its temp file all the time.. ;)

> you have upgraded not only CPU but motherboard, memory, disk.
> i was comparing 600 Mhz and 900 Mhz CPU's with the same other hardware!

Ok.  There was talk about 200-300 MHz class CPU's as well and I just
wanted to say that the new machines are doing much better.. (I wasn't
so sure before I got a new machine.)

BTW, what kind of temperatures are people seeing on the CPU's?  My
900 MHz Athlon runs around 60°C, around 70°C with full load (according
to the mb sensor).  The lowest reading (somewhere on the mb, I think)
is 25°C.  Should I be worried?

  -jm