Subject: Re: file system not clean
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/20/2001 15:35:09
From: "Ray Phillips" <r.phillips@mailbox.uq.edu.au>

> I've edited my /etc/fstab file.  It contains these lines:
>
> /dev/wd0a / ffs rw 0 0
> /dev/sd0b none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/sd1b none swap sw 0 0
> /kern /kern kernfs rw
> /dev/sd0e /usr ffs rw 1 2
> /dev/sd1e /usr2 ffs rw 1 2
>
> Does that look reasonable?

You've disabled the fsck pass on / so it isn't checked at boot.
You want something like:
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw 0 1

Here is the bit from 'man fstab':
     The fifth field, (fs_freq), is used for these filesystems by the
dump(8)
     command to determine which filesystems need to be dumped.  If the fifth
     field is not present, a value of zero is returned and dump(8) will
assume
     that the filesystem does not need to be dumped.

     The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to
determine
     the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.  The root
     filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other
filesys-
     tems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a drive will be
     checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be
checked
     at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware.  If
     the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and
     fsck(8) will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

-Andrew