Subject: Re: Stupid Chip Q
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/20/2001 08:41:22
On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 09:30:24AM +0100, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:

> > My Duron 600 @ 950 runs great. :-)  While I am willing to smoke
>
> how faster netbsd works on this?
> visual difference?
> 1% half% ?
>
> i had problems in normal work to see a difference between pentium 200 and
> celeron 500.

I updated from P233 to Athlon 900 and I _can_ _see_ _the_ _difference_! :-)

Playing mp3's used to eat around 17% of CPU - now it takes less than 1%.
Playing one song took 4 seconds of CPU. :-)  Encoding CD's used to take hours
- now it takes only a moment.  No reason to use a network of 7 NetBSD machines
for encoding any more. ;-)  Building software is much faster.  X is faster.
GIMP is usable.

I never thought it would make THIS big a difference.  I have upgraded yet
another machine to Athlon 900 and have not regretted it.  These machines
fly and the new IBM ATA disks do, too.  My "fast" SCSI disks like Barracudas
feel like a piece of junk now.

> overclocking is a nonsense.

I don't do overclocking.  I value reliability.

  -jm