Subject: Re: X-Server for M$-Windoze and soundcard SB16
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?P=E5llen?= <pollen@astrakan.hig.se>
From: None <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/18/2001 12:58:18
> Hi!
>
> Does there exist any FREE and usable X-Server for windoze? Preferably with
> XDM-support. I've been lookinf rot this for some years now, but I might be
> looking in the wrong directions...

Not really.  There used to be. :(

> And one more thing, why is NetBSD so slooow on cracking RC5/OGR? With
> windoze I get nearly double the speed.

This is possibly because it is not using the correct CORE on your CPU.
I noticed this on an older version of dnetc.  Do a 'dnetc -benchmark'
on your NetBSD box. (and the 'long benchmark' on windows) And compare
the CORE being used.

I haven't messed with dnetc in a while, but last time I used it there
was not much of a difference between Windows and NetBSD.

> And my SB16 soundcard won't work anymore in netbsd. I just got a new
> computer, and here the soundcard doesn't get any interrupts. (Looks like
> so at least) Could it be some new interrupt routing in the t-bird
> motherboards? (Abit KT7A) The soundcard works in my old K6-2 computer with
> AOpen motherboard. And it works in windoze... Would be nice to be able to
> lisen to music and do some serious work at the same time. :)

Have you confirmed that Windows and NetBSD are using the same interrupts
for *all* devices, not just the soundcard?  e.g. You may just have an IRQ
conflict between the ISA SB16 and a PCI device.  If you have the SB16
hardcoded to an IRQ, set that IRQ as "Legacy/ISA" in the BIOS.  And the
DMA channel for that matter.

-Andrew