Subject: Re: UDMA 100 probelm
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/18/2001 13:29:02
   On Mar 18, 19:48, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
   > Subject: Re: UDMA 100 probelm
   > On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 11:00:30AM -0600, Kazushi Marukawa wrote:
   > Hum, CRC errors ... the data got corrupted on the wire.
   > Check cables.

Thanks.  I'm connecting four drives to four channels on two
Ultra 100 cards using four cables.  Three cables are came
from PROMISE belong to FastTrak 100 or Ultra 100.  The last
cable is a generic cable.  All are regular length cables.
All four drives showed identical errors like I wrote when I
used today's kernel.

One more thing, I used this combination more than 6 months
with Win98 and Win2k.  I was using them for video operation,
and they never shows such errors or any evidences of data
corruption.  Such video operations are very sensitive
against data corruption though.  So, I said it works fine
under Win98.

Maybe Max60 doesn't work with them.  I just thought device
drivers had problems since it didn't work well after
downgrading also.  Anyway, you said it's fine.  Thanks.

I'll try to specify 0x0c00 to prohibit UDMA 5.  I don't have
any other UDMA5 cards, so I couldn't check with other cards.
Maybe, I can add an IBM drive to see what happens.  I'm not
sure when I can do though.

Regards,
-- Kazushi