Subject: Re: Stupid Chip Q
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2001 11:36:10
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Andrew Gillham wrote:

# From: <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>:
# > >
# > > My Duron 600 @ 950 runs great. :-)  While I am willing to smoke
# >
# > how faster netbsd works on this?
# > visual difference?
# > 1% half% ?
#
# Well, a "make world" isquite a bit faster at 950 than at 600.  I don't
# have the exact timings available, but I can get them if you want to
# know.
# Regarding "feeling faster", I would say that my machine @950 with 256MB
# and a TNT2 ultra "feels" a heck of a lot faster than my old pentium pro 200.
# Sure, having 4X the RAM helps as well.

Let's see, my machine at work is a P2/450 with 256MB.  My machine at home
is a P3/666 with 128MB.

My home machine is roasting, rolling and smoking my work box.

"I think it's got something to do with the difference between Ultra/33 and
Ultra/100." :-)

# > i had problems in normal work to see a difference between pentium 200 and
# > celeron 500.

I couldn't tell the difference between a standard SPARC II and a Weitek
PoweruP, either; in fact, the whole machine actually seemed SLOWER with
the PoweruP in it.

# Sure, it depends on what you are doing.  If you are totally I/O bound,

i.e. compiling (it does quite a bit of disk I/O).

They seem to constantly be improving CPU and disk speeds, but the progress
being made towards a faster bus seems to be lagging, and that's where we
really could stand to have the speed.

# either
# disk, network, or video, the extra crunch is not going to be obvious.  Run
# some timings on cpu intensive stuff, and you'll notice a difference. :-)
#
# > overclocking is a nonsense.
#
# Yup, right up there with watching TV, playing video games, hacking on
# NetBSD, riding a motorcycle, etc.

I'll agree with watching TV; the rest is questionable. :-)

# -Andrew
#
#

				--*greywolf;