Subject: any known problems with Megahertz "XJ10BT or XJ10BC" on i386?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/16/2001 00:56:13
While out buying a replacement motherboard for my little old router on
Tuesday I picked up a (presumably used) Megahertz X-JACK (XJ10BT) card
to see if I could get an old 486DX laptop that I've got here doing
something half-useful (eg. as a cottage machine :-)....

Unfortunately the card doesn't seem to work...

I tried the latest "rescue-tiny.fs" from the 20010206 i386 snapshot
directory (the machine only has 4MB RAM), and the probe says (relevant
parts only, copied by hand):

	pcic0: controller 0 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has sockets A and B
	pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
	sm1 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x400-0x40f: Megahertz X-JACK Ethernet
	sm1: invalid BSR 0xb800
	sm1: unknown chip id 0, revision 0, buffer size 0:
	sm1: MAC address 00:00:86:16:c6:e4, default media UTP

(there is only one type-1 socket on the machine -- the other socket must
be on the docking station connector)

When I ifconfig an address onto it, the kernel says:

	pcmcia0: card irq 10

and the LED on the card comes on, but there's no link light on the hub.

Very soon afterwards the kernel says:

	sm1: device timeout

When I eject the card the kernel says:

	sm1 detached

and the timeout messages stop.

Externally the card is in very excellent physical condition and is very
clean.  I don't have a dongle cable to try the other connector on the
card.

Are there any known issues with the current "sm" driver vs. this type of
card, or should I take mine back and exchange it for another?

--
							Greg A. Woods