Subject: Re: CPU Type relevant?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/15/2001 09:19:53
Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> > The Celeron is a P-III type CPU.  If OpenBSD and Linux report it as a
> > Coppermine, then I would say they are mis-identifying the CPU.
>
> But there is a Coppermine version isn't there?

IIRC all P-III processors have copper core.

The issue here is that until PIII, celerons got their own cpu model.
Since PIII, "common" PIII, Celeron and Xeon share same cpu model,
but can be differentiated via new "brand id". -current does
this, 1.5 not.

Anyway, it's correct that you see the processor identified as
PIII - the only difference between Celeron and "common" PIII
is the bus speed and MP ability.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
 ***  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, dammit!  ***