Subject: Re: Can anyone run FreeBSD Yahoo Messenger on 1.4X?
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@bankengine.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/14/2001 05:51:07
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Alicia da Conceicao wrote:

> Has anyone been able to successfully run any of the FreeBSD ports of
> Yahoo Messenger?  Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck with the FreeBSD
> 2.X port, specifically it dies with at one of the FreeBSD shared GTK
> libraries it uses.
>
> If anyone has been able to get it to run under NetBSD 1.4X, I would
> greatly appreciate any assistance, including help with those pesky
> /emul/freebsd share libraries I need to populate.

There's a package for freebsd emulation, "emulators/freebsd_lib". It
still doesn't support FreeBSD-ELF binaries, though, so if that's what
you have, it's hopeless. If it's a.out, you can probably get a
glib/gtk tarballs for FreeBSD from http://www.gtk.org.

> BTW, yes I do know that the Linux port of Yahoo Messenger works under
> NetBSD 1.4X, but it is not very stable, crashing every 2 mins.  And yes
> the Java version does work with NetBSD, running Linux Netscape
> Communicator, but I can't get it to work with my NetBSD Java Applet
> Viewer.

Hmm. I have the linux port running under NetBSD-1.5. My "users" say it
works fine, and they would complain if it didn't.

There have been improvements to the linux emulation for 1.5.

Frederick