Subject: Re: Partions Mappings, self done live cd, burning under Netbsd, Bash
To: Frank Kartest <localfun66@hotmail.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/12/2001 22:13:30
On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 10:32:29AM +0100, Frank Kartest wrote:
> Hello NetBSD i386 Fans i´m new in NetBSD an i have got some questions:
>
> 1.) How are the partions mappings under NetBSD???
>      (seconde partion on the first controller is not wd0b ??))

I assume by that you wonder whether you need a separate partition for swap
in NetBSD, and the answer is no :) you just give the 1 partition which has
all the NetBSD bits in it. Later you add a disklabel, its in the disklabel
that you "partition the partition into partitions" as in you split that 1
partition into /dev/wd0a /dev/wd0b etc.

> 2.) Can anybody tell me a site where i can learn how do do my own self
> booting CD. The default Boot-CD does not provide multi-user acess and i can
> not use my programs (because of the libary), i also need a compiler.
>
> 3.) How i can burn CD´s under NetBSD i have compiled cdrecord and the tools
> but cdrecord -scanbus tells me that there is no scsi-bus avaible (also i
> don´t have a scsi-bus but is it possible to use ide-burner (scsi-ide
> emulation))

The answer to both of those can be found at:

http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html

> 4.) I´m moved from Li*** to NetBSD now i´m wondering if something like bash
> does exist under NetBSD (i miss the extensions like tab full path and cursor
> up last comand ...)

My way: ftp the source over, compile & install it, and don't forget to add
/usr/local/bash to /etc/shells. The "standard" way nowadays: get hold of
"package source" tarball from ftp.netbsd.org, cd /usr/pkgsrc/shells/bash &&
make && make install (guessing this last bit)

Welcome to NetBSD,

Patrick