Subject: PPP/Serial Problem on NetBSD 1.5 w/KAME
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <PilkingtonCJ@aol.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/11/2001 22:51:29
--part1_105.146274.27dda1c1_boundary

I just installed the kame-20010305-netbsd15-snap CD on a clean PC (not an=20
upgrade.)

Installation went fine. I configured ppp by hand. =A0My modem is on /dev/tty=
00.

Modem dials out without a problem, ppp sends one LCP packet then the console=
=20
(standard PC console) freezes completely, cannot even switch to another=20
virtual console.

Server eventaully disconnects, and console un-freezes. =A0If I look in the=20
/var/log/debug (syslogd *.debug), I see a /netbsd ppp0: bad fcs near the=20
first LCP packet. =A0Also, I see that ppp is receiving LCP packets and also=20=
is=20
logging sent LCP packets, even though they are not being sent. It is obvious=
=20
it is not sending them, however, since the modem transmit light doesn't puls=
e=20
at all except for the first packet.

Problem is duplicatable every time, both on tty00 and dty00 (external modem)=
=20
as well as tty01 and dty01 (internal modem.)

I'm using the defaults in /dev/ttys.

Can anyone give me any direction, as I'm totally stuck.

Thanks,

Christopher J. Pilkington

--part1_105.146274.27dda1c1_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>I just installed the kame=
-20010305-netbsd15-snap CD on a clean PC (not an=20
<BR>upgrade.)
<BR>
<BR>Installation went fine. I configured ppp by hand. =A0My modem is on /dev=
/tty00.
<BR>
<BR>Modem dials out without a problem, ppp sends one LCP packet then the con=
sole=20
<BR>(standard PC console) freezes completely, cannot even switch to another=20
<BR>virtual console.
<BR>
<BR>Server eventaully disconnects, and console un-freezes. =A0If I look in t=
he=20
<BR>/var/log/debug (syslogd *.debug), I see a /netbsd ppp0: bad fcs near the=
=20
<BR>first LCP packet. =A0Also, I see that ppp is receiving LCP packets and a=
lso is=20
<BR>logging sent LCP packets, even though they are not being sent. It is obv=
ious=20
<BR>it is not sending them, however, since the modem transmit light doesn't=20=
pulse=20
<BR>at all except for the first packet.
<BR>
<BR>Problem is duplicatable every time, both on tty00 and dty00 (external mo=
dem)=20
<BR>as well as tty01 and dty01 (internal modem.)
<BR>
<BR>I'm using the defaults in /dev/ttys.
<BR>
<BR>Can anyone give me any direction, as I'm totally stuck.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Christopher J. Pilkington</FONT></HTML>

--part1_105.146274.27dda1c1_boundary--