Subject: Re: This List Abused
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/09/2001 18:47:37
gabriel rosenkoetter encoded:

>That is and has been a function of how the NetBSD lists work.
>
>It means one does not need to be subscribed to a list to post to it,
>which is arguably a good thing (say, replying to crosspostings
>involving some tech-* list you're not subscribed to).

Allowing nonsubscribers to post to a list leaves the list open to totally
off-topic spam, and I have seen a few such spams on the NetBSD lists.  I also
saw one message with the Snowhite/Hybris virus on a NetBSD list.  Warp list
(related to IBM OS/2 Warp) formerly allowed postings by nonsubscribers, but one
Snowhite message with viral attachment ended that open-posting policy.