Subject: Wrestling with Ram Disks
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Larry Colen <lrc@recourse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/08/2001 12:32:03
I've been trying to get ramdisks working on a netbsd 1.5 system and
have been having an absolute abysmal time of it.  Before I tried
buring a CDROM and booting to the ramdisk, I wanted to try to just
make and mount one.

I haven't found the documentation for disklabel and newfs / mount_mfs
to be very helpful.  With a bit of research I found out about adding
the lines:

# Enable the hooks used for initializing the root memory-disk.
options   MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS
#options   MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT # force root on memory disk
options   MEMORY_DISK_SERVER=1  # with userspace memory disk support
options   MINIROOTSIZE=46080  # spc24MB.fs size of memory disk, in blocks

to the configuration file. As you can see, I've even tried commenting
out forcing root to be on the memory disk.  The thing that happens to
me is that I get the boot prompt and I type

boot netbsd.WHATICALLTHISKERNEL

I get numbers and the spinny thingy (memory test?) and it immediately
reboots.

I've tried mdconfig with both /dev/md0a and /dev/md0d, but it fails,
which doesn't surprise me since the kernel isn't compiled for memory
disks.

Any help with getting ramdisks to work under netbsd would me greatly
appreciated.

   Larry

--
Larry Colen - Recourse Technologies - lrc@recourse.com - 650-381-8090