Subject: Re: proxy, firewall
To: Zoltan Halasz <zhalasz@freemail.hu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/2001 09:32:37
Zoltan,

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Zoltan Halasz wrote:

> Have you any experience/commendation for a proxy and/or a firewall
> - software and
> - the machine hardware
> which runs NetBSD? The users are about 400.

You may want to look at
 http://pozadzides.com/firewall/
 http://www.gallantry.com/
 http://www.cequrux.com/
 http://www.dobox.com/
 http://www.mfilter.net/

I believe all of these are based on a BSD. Some are based on NetBSD.

I do not have experience with any of these.

NetBSD comes with firewalling solutions. Of course it depends on your
particular goals, but I believe that NetBSD may have the firewalling
software you need -- and it runs on a wide variety of hardware.

For example, NetBSD comes with ipf (ipfilter), IP network address
translation, IPsec (IP security protocol) and a lot more. Also numerous
tools are available in the packages collection (prepared software for
NetBSD) that can help with building a firewall, such as Squid (which is a
www proxy).

If you have any particular or specific questions on configuring/using
NetBSD as a firewall, it may be a good idea to just choose one mailing
list to post to.

Good luck in finding your proxy/firewall solution.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/