Subject: Re: Getting my machine running with Wasabi-1.5
To: Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2@mail.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/2001 08:38:35
On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 09:12:19PM -0500, Todd Gruhn wrote:
> I have recently had some major hardware mishaps with NetBSD-1.4.2.
> I have since replaced the fan in the power supply, and cleaned
> the heat sink on the cpu. Then the 4G drive died of bitrot.
> I brought the 2GB SCA drive online, and tried to install NetBSD.
> My floppy sets were screwed so I ordered the NetBSD-1.5.0 set from Wasabi
> systems. BUT WHEN I BOOT THE CD I GET:
>
> PCPROBE: reset error 2
> AHC1:0:0  SCB1d: Immediate reset
> Flags=0x4040
> AHC1:0:0  SCB1d: timmed out while idle
> SEQADDR 0x18c
>
> SCSIRATE = 0x0

> I am keeping the IBM hooked up to the SCSI bus because it can
> be terminated -- the Connor drive has no termination. The IBM
> drive had the bitrot prob 2mo ago...

You are positive you have both ends of the bus terminated? The IBM
drive is on the end of the bus?

Do you have the IBM drive powered off? If so, are you sure the bus
has termination power? Perhaps the terminators in the IBM drive
don't work correctly if the drive is off (but since the drive went
bad I don't suggest turning it on).

I actually found internal terminators that fit on the end of the
ribbon cable. Pretty slick. Before that I've used internal-to-external
plates that fit in slots so I can use an external terminator at the
end of the bus. You should probably look into finding a similar solution
so you can get the IBM drive off the bus. Another bonus is that an
external terminator would tell you if termination power is working.
--
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...